Friday, April 30, 2010

Meat Loaf

I have been cooking the same things forever.  I make these dishes because I know I love them, and why mess with a good thing?  But, soon, I will not only have myself to cook for... SO I have decided to branch out a little bit.  Starting with this week... I decided I wanted to make the traditional family favorite... meat loaf.

I must admit it didn't turn out as well as I would have liked... but I blame that on the fact that I did not firmly pack the mixture into the baking dish.  I have learned my lesson, and I know it will work out better next time.  The recipe itself is very simple... but you can add all kinds of herbs and veggies to spice it up!

Meat Loaf
-1.5 lbs ground beef
-1 egg
-1 small onion, diced
-1 cup bread crumbs
-1 cup milk
-2 tablespoons brown sugar
-2 tablespoons mustard
-1/3 cup ketchup
-Salt, pepper, and other spices to taste (I used parsley, and garlic)

Mix ground beef, egg, onion, bread crumbs, milk and spices in a large bowl.  Form the mixture into a loaf and place into a loaf pan.  OR Form the mixture into smaller balls and bake in a muffin pan.

*Make sure you pack the mixture together with your hands... this is where I messed up*

Mix brown sugar, mustard, and ketchup making a glaze.  Pour this over the loaf.

Bake at 350 degrees for an hour.



I think next time I am going to make it with ground turkey.  I think that would be a good lower fat option.

If you have any Foodie Friday suggestions... just send me an e-mail or leave a comment.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment