Friday, January 15, 2010

Foodie Friday: Potato Soup

This week I decided I wanted to try a totally new recipe for Foodie Friday.  I had a few requirements for my new recipe: it had to be soup (duh, it's Souper January), it had to be Crock Pot friendly, and it had to be a "fix it and forget it" recipe (this means no constant stirring, no add-ins, etc).  Well, never fear... I found a fantastic recipe... Crock Pot potato soup... I made it before I went to bed, then let it cook all night... when I woke up... SOUP!

Crock Pot Potato Soup
Adapted from: GroupRecipes.com
Ingredients:

-5lb bag of potatoes, peeled and chopped
-1 small onion, diced
-3 cans chicken broth (I used a "box" and a can... because I had the box in the pantry)
-1 can Cream of Chicken soup
-1 block of cream cheese, softened
-Pepper to taste
-Parsley to taste... I just sprinkled in some dried parsley
-Dunkin Donuts Coffee-- I'm kidding... it just happens to be in the back of the picture

Peel and chop potatoes and onion... place them in the Crock Pot- I could not fit a full 5lbs in my pot... I had to leave a couple potatoes out... not a problem, there were still plenty in the finished soup

Mix chicken broth, soup, cream cheese, and spices in a separate bowl; pour the mixture over potatoes in the Crock Pot

Cook on low for 8-10 hours

*Hint- if you want a thicker soup... use a potato masher, I know I'm so technical... (picture below)... and mash some of the potatoes after soup has cooked about 8 hours... then let it cook for about one more hour*

This soup is GREAT!  I was a little worried because it doesn't have any milk or cream... but don't worry it comes out very creamy.  I added some cheese and bacon pieces before I tried it, YUM! There are a ton of ways to garnish this dish... and I'm pretty sure no matter what you try... it will be wonderful!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment